The Evolution of Bingo
The game of bingo has a really rich and storied history, stretching back for centuries. It has changed a lot in that time however, check out our guide to find out where it all began and where it’s likely to go next…
Let’s start with the question of where did bingo originate, as this is a really interesting one. UK players may be super surprised to find out that this game didn’t come from the Isles at all, can you guess where it actually came from?
The answer is Italy, where a lotto game bore a striking resemblance to modern day bingo. This early version of the game was a cross between bingo and the lottery, which proved very popular. From there, it went all over the world!
The question of who invented bingo is a bit of a tricky one to answer. We know the origin of bingo came about in the 1500s but the exact person responsible is hard to pinpoint.
As we move further forward in bingo history, we start to see the games that we’re accustomed to these days. In the UK, 90 ball bingo was pioneered and very quickly became a much loved pastime with its players. Halls sprang up all over the country to house those who wanted nothing more than to get their bingo fix.
It wasn’t until hundreds of years later that the 75 ball game became popular in the USA. This was their take on the game, though now most sites have both versions for their players.
The Evolution of Bingo Games
The big turning point in the evolution of these games came when bingo went online. This allowed developers to really go crazy and invent all different types of games, from speed bingo to the hybrid games that so many players love. Over the past couple of decades, the game has changed and diversified in ways that wouldn’t be possible without the internet.
Slots and the gameplay that they use has also had an influence on bingo players. They have led to hybrids and the opportunity to play slots and bingo at once. Now, most bingo sites also have a slot gaming section for their players.
We’re also a lot more mobile these days, thanks to our smartphones. Mobile sites now cater to these players as they choose to get their jackpot fix on the move. This is going to continue in the future, with the number of smartphones and tablets always on the rise.
The Future of Bingo
It’s hard to guess exactly what will happen in the future, though we have a few predictions:
- Even More Mobile Sites – These sites are some of the most popular sites out there and any site that isn’t optimised is missing a trick. We’ll probably see more mobile sites in the future and more mobile exclusives too.
- A Social Media Takeover – Being on social media is one of the most powerful ways to reach players and to allow them to reach your brand. More and more sites will probably start to take advantage of this, which could mean more offers for players.
- Virtual and Augmented Reality – Virtual reality headsets are becoming ever more popular and players are starting to enjoy this tech in casinos. Similarly, augmented reality games like Pokémon GO have been massively popular, so we’re bound to see some form of these innovations coming to bingo games.
- Live Bingo – Live callers aren’t all that common but this could be set to change. Live casinos have proven popular with players, this could be something that also has a resurgence for bingo players. They can be more immersive and technology can’t really create the same environment.
- Younger Players – The average age of bingo players is always decreasing, as younger players get involved. The old image of bingo being for grannies has changed, as younger players of both genders are getting involved.
Bingo is one of the most interesting games in the world, so it makes sense that it also has an interesting history too. We’ve always enjoyed learning about it and can’t wait to see what’s next for the industry. Rest assured, we’ll bring you all the latest innovations.